Our Lady of Good Fountain
57370 Danne et 4 vents - Phalsbourg - 03 87 24 34 33
It was in 1934 that Robert Knopf, a baker, contracted an allergy to flour.
His mother wanted him to run a hotel restaurant, but near a sanctuary.
It was 200 meters from the Bonne Fontaine pilgrimage site, on the borders of Alsace and Lorraine, that Germaine and Philippe Knopf did everything they could to acquire a wooded plot of land on which to build a hotel.
They succeeded at the end of 1934 and obtained the signature of the president of the republic Albert Lebrun.
work began on April 1, 1935 and was completed on October 1, 1935.
The difficult years of the occupation and the post-war period did not dampen the hopes and ambitions of Robert and Marie-Thérèse Schneider, who became his wife (the daughter of a grocer on Place Kléber in Strasbourg).
It was Paul, their second son, who took over from his parents in 1967. He married Philomène Klein from Steinbourg.
They had 3 daughters, the 2 eldest are currently at the head of the company. After several years spent abroad, they returned to perpetuate the family tradition since 2002.